Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Deep in the undergrowth

Instead of joining you all for a few beers last Saturday, I took Gurtrude deep into the Forest of Dean for a bit of wildlife spotting.

We had gone specifically to seek out the ginger one of the natural world - the endangered red squirrel.

Now I am no expert, but everything I read tells me that the red squirrel is being killed off by the grey squirrel. Apparently the grey is more aggressive, and more dominant, making the red a little more susceptable to its cunning ways.

Imagine my surprise then, when we peered into what looked like nature's version of a dancefloor to find the red and the grey joined at the mouth?!

Gurtrude enquired of the local forestkeeper, John LaRocca, and he told her that it is the first time he thinks this has happened...

Who knows?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you consulted the UK's authority on this, Dr Richard Tingle?

I am sure he has reported similar things in the past.

Oh, and be sure to call him Dick.